The Lego Movie - Review

This movie has been a great surprise...after watching the trailers I was thinking it was another simple animated film but I was wrong, this movie has a great heart.

Plot: An ordinary LEGO figure called Emmet is mistaken to be the extraordinary "MasterBuilder", the savior from an old prophecy that says he will be the one saving the universe. After reuniting with a few friends like Batman, WyldStyle and Vitruvius, they will go to a journey to stop the great villain, Lord Business.
Spaceman, Vitruvius and, one of my faves from the film, Unikitty!


The movie is made entirely of LEGO pieces and is a mix between stop-motion and CGI effects, it's done excellently and in a very funny way. You will even see and hear some jokes that will remember to your childhood when you played with those amazing and little yellow figures. And this is what this film is about, everybody sees it as another animated movie for children and it has been done for kids to enjoy it but the ones who will enjoy it more will be the adults as it will bring you memories from when you were a little child playing with those figures and pretending adventures... plus lots of references from other films like Batman and Star Wars, adults will enjoy it more, as I did!

Spoilers Following!!
The plot is about the end of the world and a group of "figures" go to find the savior who will save them all...after going to lots of different areas like the Wild West, Middle Zealand and a place that looks a lot like "My Little Pony Universe" (I'm not kidding) they discover that prophecy was made out only to find if a person could believe in himself so much that he would become the "MasterBuilder" by himself...that's the first plot twist you will see and then another one that will break all your hearts (and so did mine) when you see a real-life kid playing with the LEGO figures that appear during the film from the great and huge collection of his father (played surprisingly by Will Ferrell). So it seems that the kid just wants to play with the mini-figures but his father keeps them as a collection and wants to glue them so no one can touch them but he then discovers that the villain from the film, Lord Business, is actually him and then changes his mind. That ending made me cry as it is very realistic and I'm sure it happened to lots of people (I actually didn't cry but I felt it like I was crying).
End of Spoilers!!
Believe it or not...this is one of the bad guys!

The movie has a great cast followed by lots of LEGO figures including Batman, Superman, Abraham Lincoln, 80's Spaceman, Han Solo, Lando Carrisian, Gandalf and Unikitty. Emmet is the ordinary guy everyone will love but I have to say my favorites were Unikitty with her never ending happiness and Batman with his love with the black color and dark stuff and trying all the time to be the cool-guy. And a special mention to the 80's spaceman and his obsession about building a spaceship!

As I said, I wasn't going to watch this film but I changed my mind and glad I did it...don't think twice and go see it, you won't regret it!

· What I liked was the lots of cameos and references from known movies and characters, especially Batman, Star Wars and Unikitty. The entire ending is funny and sweet plus the memories it brings you from your childhood.

· What I didn't like was that it could have had more cameos or even a little more of screen time, plus the start of the film...a little too slow for me, the good stuff appears later.


8.5 / 10

"A film for children that adults will enjoy even more thanks to the memories it brings. Very likable characters and references from other films"



:: Top Movies 2014 ::

1. The LEGO Movie (8.5)
2. Saving Mr. Banks (8.0)

Remember this amazing LEGO art? It appears in the entire film!